CDL License Connecticut | How To Get A CDL In CONNECTICUT | CLASS A

CDL License ConnecticutWhat is a CDL?

A Connecticut Commercial Driver License (CDL License Connecticut) is a special drivers license required by all drivers of motor vehicles which are classified by weight and cargo set by the FMCSA. Commercial driver’s licenses are issued by each state, but are regulated by the FMCSA to ensure that certain standards are met nationwide for truck drivers.

(Note: These are the Connecticut CDL Requirements, click here to see your state’s CDL requirements.)

Do I Need An Connecticut CDL?

Commercial vehicles are classified by weight and cargo. To determine if you need a CDL License in Connecticut, check to see if your vehicle falls into any of the following classifications:

CLASS A – Any combination of vehicle(s) or vehicle/trailer(s) with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of twenty-six thousand one pounds or more (26,001), provided the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicle being towed is in excess of ten thousand pounds (10,000).

For Example: A tractor-trailer combination that weighs over 26,000 pounds whose trailer is rated for 80,000 pounds.

CLASS B – Any single motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of twenty-six thousand one pounds or more (26,001), provided the vehicle(s) being towed are not in excess of ten thousand pounds (10,000).

For Example: Buses, Cement Trucks, Dump Trucks

CLASS C – Any single motor vehicle with a GVWR of less than twenty-six thousand one pounds (26,001) provided it is not towing a vehicle or trailer with a GVWR in excess of ten thousand pounds (10,000), but that DOES fall into one of the following two categories:

  • Vehicles designed or used to transport 16 or more passengers (including the driver), OR designed or used to transport more than 10 passengers (including the driver) that is used to transport students under 21 years old to and from school.
  • Vehicles used to transport hazardous materials or waste in amounts which are required to be placarded in accordance with 49 CFR 172, Subpart F.

For Example: Buses or vans used to transport passengers or students weighing under 26,000 pounds. OR Trucks or vans used to transport hazardous materials, but weigh less than 26,000 pounds.

Requirements For Connecticut CDL Endorsements

Endorsements are required if you intended on operating certain types of vehicles, transport certain types of cargo, or drive under certain circumstances.

Connecticut CDL Endorsements include:
– (S) – School Bus – Required before operating any vehicle used to transport school kids to and from school, including special education students. Subdivisions of the (S) endorsement can be found here.
– (T) – Double/Triple Trailers – Required to operate any class combination vehicle with double or triple trailers.
– (P) – Passenger/Transportation – Required to operate any vehicle designed to transport 16 or more passengers (including the driver). Requires a subset endorsement (F) under certain circumstances (Click here for more information).
– (N) – Tank Vehicles/Liquid Bulk – Required for transporting any bulk liquids exceeding 1,000 gallons.
– (H) – Hazardous Materials – Required to transport any hazardous materials as classified by Section 49 CFR 100-185 in the code of federal regulations.
– (X) – Tanker/Hazardous Materials – Hazardous and tank vehicle combine.

IMPORTANT: You must study the following sections of your Connecticut CDL Handbook to receive an unrestricted commercial drivers license in the following classes:

  • Class A Vehicle – General Knowledge, Combination, Air Brakes if equipped (Sections 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 10, 11, and 12.)
  • Class B Non-Passenger Vehicle – General Knowledge, Air Brakes if equipped (Sections 1, 2, 3, 5, 10, 11, 12.)
  • Class B Passenger Vehicle – General Knowledge, Air Brakes if equipped, Passenger, School Bus to drive a school bus (Sections 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 9, 10, 11, 12)
  • Class C Vehicle – General Knowledge, Air Brakes if equipped, Hazardous Materials OR Passenger and School Bus (if you intend to operate a Type 2 school bus) (Sections 1, 2, 3, 5, 10, 11, 12 and the hazardous materials handbook OR 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 9, 10, 11, and 12)

Connecticut CDL Requirements

In order to obtain a new Connecticut Commercial Drivers License, you must meet all of the following requirements:

1. You must be at least 18 years old with the state of Connecticut (intrastate).

2. You must be at least 21 years to drive out of the state (interstate)

3. You must hold a valid Connecticut Class D drivers license.

4. A valid social security card (not laminated or metal) or your most recent W2 form.

5. An Examination to Determine Physical Condition of Driver (DMV Form R-323) filled out by a licensed physician, or a U.S. D.O.T. Medical Examiner’s Physical Examination which meets DOT requirements.

6. A complete application for a Connecticut Commercial Driver’s License (DMV Form R-229a)

How To Get A CDL In Connecticut

The following are the steps required by the FMCSA and the state of Connecticut to apply for your Connecticut Commercial Drivers License.

CONNECTICUT CDL HANDBOOK1. Study each appropriate section the official Connecticut Commercial Drivers License Handbook that applies to the classification and endorsements you’d like to receive.

The general knowledge test consists of 30 questions, and you cannot miss more than 6 questions. The fee for the test is $16. A fee of $30 must also be paid at this time for your road skills test. If you fail the test, you must wait one full business day to retake the test. You will be required to fill out a new application for commercial driver’s license (DMV Form R-229a) and re-pay all of the testing fees.

Each endorsement test cost $5 and consists of 10 questions (8 needed to pass). If you fail an endorsement test, you must wait one business day and resubmit an application for commercial drivers license and re-pay all of the fees.

2. Once you have obtained your Commercial Driver Instruction Permit (CDIP) you need to get a physical examination form filled out (DMV Form R-323) or a DOT medical card.

3. You may then begin training to pass your road skills test with a licensed CDL holder in your vehicle class or an authorized third party CDL training facility.

4. Schedule an appointment for your Connecticut CDL road skills test by calling one of the phone centers.

4. Pass your road/skills test.

  • Pre-Trip Inspection – You will be tested to ensure you know your vehicle is safe to drive.
  • Static Course – You will be tested on a closed course within a defined area.
  • On The Road Test – You will be tested on your ability to safely drive your representative vehicle on the road with your instructor.

If you fail any part of your road skills test you will be required to wait a minimum 14 day period and repay your $30 dollars skill test fee. (Note: All skills tests are performed at the Regional Market/Hartford Area)

How Much Does A CDL In Connecticut Cost?

Note: You must pay the fees for your knowledge tests and your road skills test BEFORE you take your knowledge tests.

The fees are as follows:

  • DOT Physical Card – $50-100 dollars depending on the physician/insurance.
  • Knowledge Test Fee – $16.00
  • Road Skills Test Fee – $30.00
  • CDL Class A Permit – $10.00
  • Endorsements – $5.00 each
  • CDL License (New Issue) – $70-87.50

TOTAL: $176 – 268.50 DOLLARS

Official Connecticut CDL Handbook:
Connecticut Department Of Motor Vehicles:
FMSCA Guidelines: